Who we advise
Healthcare professionals in the UK
NPIS advises other UK and international agencies. NPIS experts contribute advice to official organisations across the healthcare sector, including occupational medicine.
These include the Medicines and Health Care Regulation Agency on the licensing of drugs and their safety in overdose; the Advisory Council on Drugs of Misuse on the toxicity of recreational agents; the Health and Safety Executive on pesticide and other chemical exposures; and the European Commission where NPIS is assisting work to improve early recognition of new poisonings and unusual patterns of toxicity.
The NPIS conducts surveillance activities on behalf of Public Health England, Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and other Government Agencies on the toxic effects of products in the United Kingdom.
What government bodies does NPIS advise?
NPIS Units provide information and advice to the following:
- Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD)-Toxicity of recreational agents;
- British National Formulary (BNF);
- British National Formulary for Children (BNFC)
- Chemicals Regulation Directorate (Previously the Pesticide Safety Directorate(PSD));
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA);
- Department of Health;
- European Commission - Assisting work to improve early recognition of new poisonings and unusual patterns of toxicity;
- Health and Safety Executive
- Public Health England -Pesticide and other chemical exposures;
- Care Quality Commission (Previously the Healthcare Commission);
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)-Licensing of drugs and their safety in overdose
- Ministry of Defence (MoD);
- World Health Organisation.
NPIS experts contribute advice to official organisations across the healthcare sector, including occupational medicine.